Tuesday, October 14, 2008

CNA : Sandy Lam's hardworking but lazy

09 October 2008
posted by seravi
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainmentfeatures/view/381437/1/.html


SINGAPORE: Sandy Lam is probably the bubbliest singer we've met in a long
time. But it could be because the Chinese singer has just spent a good part
of the week in Singapore doing what she likes to do best in Singapore:
Shopping and stuffing her face.

"The food here is delicious!" said the 42-year-old singer when she sat down
for the interview at Marina Mandarin. "I like Singapore. I've been here
countless times, you know? The city is very pleasant and comfortable to be
in. People are very friendly and I have so many wonderful friends in
Singapore."

Some of her friends here include musicians whom she's worked with, including
singer-songwriter Dick Lee and music arranger Case Woo. But she also
considers her fans as "friends", she said.

"I really have a lot of wonderful, special fans and they've become sort of
like friends to me," said Sandy. "Some of them ... When you first meet them,
they were in their school uniforms, and next thing you know, they're grown
up with kids. It's like meeting an old friend again. They're all very nice."

It's been a long road for the Hong Kong-born singer, who started when she
was 19 with her first single, "I Don't Know What Love Is". She rose to fame
in the mid '80s with a slew of Cantopop hits, before branching into Mandopop
in 1991 with her album, "Home Again Without You". Her 1995 album, "Scars",
is considered to be one of her top-selling albums.

In 2001, she appeared in the Andrew Lloyd Webber concert "Masterpiece",
performing on the same bill with Elaine Page and China's all-time
best-selling recording artiste, American-Chinese Kris Phillips - better
known to us as Fei Xiang. Earlier this year, she released "Come as U Are", a
live recording of her series of concerts she did last year.

But even after all these years, Sandy said she's still learning about
herself. "You go through high tides and low tides," she mused. "There are
things that you keep learning about yourself and working with people around
you. It's a constant learning process. But you know, you're just a human
being."

Up Close with Sandy

You've mentioned that you're going to customise your show for Singapore.
What can we expect?


For Singapore, more people speak Mandarin, so I will sing more Mandarin
songs for them. The core structure of the concert isn't going to change, but
I've put in a special little segment of favourites for each individual city
... little touches here and there, like maybe a couple of songs that will
have special meaning for Singaporeans. No, I can't tell you which - it's a
surprise!

Will you have any special guests?

I'm not into inviting special guests! There are many musicians whom I have
worked with and I will definitely sing their songs during my concert. Unless
it is someone extremely special to me, I do not think I will invite a
special guest. It will be a one-woman show. It always is!

Don't you get bored singing all those early hits?

Of course, you get bored if you've been singing the song the same way
hundreds of times! That's why I come up with new arrangements or a new
perspective for each song. That's the fun part of having a concert.

Many artistes say they get a little antsy as a tour goes on. What about you?

I've never really felt that way. I love the travelling part ... I always
look forward to it! (We don't) tour the whole year and have over 200 gigs -
we break for two days, two weeks, or a month. I actually look forward to the
experience of doing a whole year of touring, but we don't have that type of
market in Asia. Maybe in the future - though probably not in my time!

What's your most embarrassing stage moment?

I always have embarrassing moments! Like when I forget the lyrics! I'm very
critical of myself and if I'm not at my top form, I tend to put pressure on
myself. But nowadays, I just learn to deal with it, you know? These things
happen. It's also something you learn: You've got to have fun and really
enjoy it and not be so hard on yourself. I just laugh it off.

You've been in the business almost 24 years now. Any regrets?

No, I don't really want to think of anything as a regret. Even if they are
mistakes, or things you think you could have done better - it's more a
precious reminder or learning experience, I think. So instead of (mulling)
over it, you go, 'I've learned something today, so next time I won't do it
again, I'll do it differently.' You learn everyday.

How do you stay so youthful?

I'm a very healthy eater. I also exercise regularly, although I don't like
going to the gym. But I love hiking - I enjoy being close to nature. I also
swim a lot and play badminton often. I make sure I have sufficient sleep -
eight hours of beauty sleep. I also love to soak in a hot bath (with) sea
salt for blood circulation. I think I am in good shape for my concert now!

Will you be releasing a new album soon?

I am right now working on the next album, but it can take a long time, so I
don't know when that will be released.

How long will you keep singing?

I have no idea. I'm not putting a time limit or anything. It's a continuous
process of improving yourself and challenging yourself. I think I am
actually enjoying it more and more as I mature ... As long as there is the
energy and there is the creativity, it can go on for while.

Describe Sandy Lam.

Determined and hardworking, but lazy at the same time! I'm very extreme. I
can be really hardworking when I'm really, really focused, but when I am in
a period where I'm lost or wandering, I've got to really pick myself up and
go out and look for inspiration. It's a constant challenge for me. -
TODAY/sh

Sandy Lam performs on Oct 18, 8pm, at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. Tickets
from S$68 to S$168 available from Sistic.

No comments: